In this article we are going to look into form based application using SharePoint as a data source. This has been the most awaited feature in v7.0 where you could create standalone data driven applications which do not need a process model and replace the OOTB SharePoint ListForm.
The OOTB SharePoint ListForm is single column based and supports limited set of field types and form features and does not support commonly used form features like rule builder for conditional rendering, master-detail forms, multi column forms etc. due to which it becomes difficult to design realistic applciations on top of SharePoint list. Specially lack of master-detail view on same SharePoint form has been a most desired feature among SharePoint customer base. AgilePoint NX’s form based application using SharePoint as a data source bridges that gap and enables citizen developers to easily create custom forms for SharePoint List. Not only this, you have ability to show lookup data from external systems like SAP, Salesforce, Database etc on the same form without writing a single line of code.
Enterprises can rapidly create hundreds of custom form based apps using their existing SharePoint investment. Here are few key features
- Build data-driven apps fast with a drag-and-drop approach to app design.
- Unlike other products which only allow creating apps on top of their data entities, AgilePoint allows creating apps on top of the inbuilt data entities but also on top of other data sources, such as custom
databases, Salesforce, SharePoint Lists, etc.
- Powerful lookup functionality, enabling data to be brought into the form from multiple third-party systems without coding.
- Automatically generate responsive applications that can run on any device with your data model.
- Customize business entities and tailor the user experience to specific roles with a drag-and-drop designer.
- Define role-based custom views for consuming data with customized search support.
Lets see how to design a new form-based application on top of already designed master-detail list in SharePoint.